Friday, December 14, 2007

More Pilot Inn, the Line, and Overkill

Scott M (who came from Tampa) was, strangely enough, a SUNY Fredonia alum. An odd coincidence. Scott is a longtime Royal-Orleans.com (I just joined this year) member and was a fun guy to talk to at the Pilot. To his right, Jon M (from Richmond, VA) was a guy who bought his passcode on eBay after finding out I successfully purchased tickets that way. To many FBO people at the meet-up, I was known simply as "the guy who bought the passcode" - although there were many others who did so. Jon was really nice and thanked me many times for sharing my story with the list, which inspired him to take the same route. Tom (Seattle) was yet another member of the FBO contingent to make the journey.


We arrived at the O2 on Monday a little after noon (we had spent over two hours on Sunday waiting in line to collect our wristbands and tickets) to queue up for entry to the standing-room-only floor area of the arena. I was surprised that we weren't very far back in the line. There were people who camped out for three days (the line was indoors, but you could see your breath at various times), but probably less than 10 of them. Above, I'm seated next to Leo and Vincent - two guys from Calgary, Alberta. Laura and I both enjoyed talking to these guys about Canada's universal health care, American politics and foreign policy, hockey, football, and music. They helped the time pass quickly. I told them about my Canada-loving friend who loves to fish and says "eh" all the time (they were amused... "oh, he does, eh?").

These guys are a tribute band known as Boot-Led-Zeppelin, based in the UK. They played a mini-set while we all waited impatiently in line. They sounded pretty decent, although I think they were talked into doing parts of Whole Lotta Love about five different times for the benefit of a TV crew covering the event.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: