Sunday, September 18, 2005

Liars

It's somewhat amusing in a sad way when liars are offended by accusations of lying. Although you've previously caught them in lies and they have admitted lying, they are nonetheless indignant.

They act shocked..."I wouldn't lie about that!"

You may want to ask, "Really? Can you provide me with a list of what you would and would not lie about? Because that would be really helpful when attempting to determine if what is spilling out of your mouth at any given time is complete bullshit or not. You know - I mean - if you get some time and it wouldn't be too much trouble. I would appreciate it."

Often, liars will act confused when caught in a lie. Sometimes, after some initial floundering, they will find a way to blame you for their lies. This is when it gets really good. Sometimes, if enough time has passed, and you were not grievously injured by the lie, you can develop a slight grin on your face as you wait in anticipation for the liar to explain exactly how it is your fault that they were forced to lie to you.

"But...but....I only said that because you had already said that we....." blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....

You'd like to laugh at the situation, but you can't. You can't laugh because you feel so sorry for the liar. They have to go through life like this. Their whole life. I'm not talking about simple white lies here (although the definition of white lie changes according to who you may ask). I'm talking about people who do it so compulsively that it has become interwoven with their personality. They lie routinely, and have earned the label of liar.

Liars are also confused when you find it difficult to trust them. They ask why you're looking at them so quizzically after they just uttered something that sounds somewhat dubious. You want to say calmly to them -

"Well, because you're a liar, that's why. You have proven yourself to be rather worthless as a purveyor of truth. You are not worthy of my trust. I find it difficult not to reject nearly everything you say as false."

I hope no one takes this rant personally. I'm talking about liars in a general way, but readers may be forgiven if they get the impression that I am talking about one person in particular.

And that can't be right.

Can it?

Notice the fine, but distinct line between lies and sarcasm. Goodnight, kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I think we all lie a little sometimes, but to actually be labeled a liar would suck. For all I know, people call me a liar though. Then I would have to call them liars because I don't perceive myself that way. It could turn in to one big lie-fest. Anyway, the truth sucks sometimes, but I think that's the best way to go most of the time. I'm sure you wanted my rambling input...