Sunday, June 18, 2006

More Old Stuff

Again, in the spirit of dredging up slightly ancient history (over six years old), this comes from a folder named "Attempts at Poetry" and was entitled "Talk." A quick glance tells us that it was created on February 2, 2000.

why is it this way?
his eloquence is unmatched
when the spotlight is far away
when it doesn’t really matter


but when he takes the stage,
when he speaks to her
he is but a speechwriter -
without a politician

without charisma
without poise
he stumbles over his own words
awkward and clumsy before her


his tongue tripping inside his mouth

they are written in a foreign language

he can’t tell her
can’t show her what he wants her to see


his mind is an ocean
the depth of which he does not know -


the parts she may need to see are dark
there is no warm glow of light

how can he show her?
he cannot find the way himself


_____

Yeah, that's poetry gold, I know.

Anyway, here's something from July 2004 (just a tad more recent) before I returned to college. I was a regular at the Studio and was fooling myself into believing I could sing, and apparently even write lyrics. I was quickly discouraged after this attempt, of course. In a folder called "master lyricist ha ha" is

Same Old Roads

I’ve got friends who’ll never leave this town
They just can’t understand
Everything I see here
Seems to drag me down

Well, I’m dri____vin down these same old roads again
Guess I don’t have to wonder why
I can’t seem to get
To the places I’ve never been [Alt. Lyrics: “where I’ve never been”]

These roads aren’t dead ends
Lots of bends, lots of curves, lots of turns
Somehow they all lead slowly back
To my desperate origins

Well, I’m dri____vin down these same old roads again
Guess I don’t have to wonder why
I can’t seem to get
To the places I’ve never been [Alt. Lyrics: “where I’ve never been”]

____

As I recall, I became frustrated with my own inablility to come up with anything more complex than this that wasn't prose, and also at Brett for not being able to come up with the right kind of melody. But really it was probably just anger at not being able to sing.

That's about it for now. Good evening.

No comments: