Monday, March 09, 2009

Billy Corgan Sells 'Today' to Visa




I'm sure people are going to ask me "what about Zeppelin selling 'Rock and Roll' to Cadillac??" Of course, I was not in favor of that either, but to me, R&R is not close to being Zep's signature song - it's a fun song, a light and airy song, on the same level with 'Misty Mountain Hop', for example. I'm not happy they did it, but I can accept that much easier than if they had sold something substantial, with meaningful lyrics (Stairway, Achilles, Ten Years Gone, et cetera).

For The Smashing Pumpkins, the selling of 'Today' is the equivalent of selling their own 'Stairway to Heaven' as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if Corgan is deliberately trying to alienate his older fan base, but if he is, he's doing a hell of a job.

No comments: