Friday, January 21, 2005

What a Mess

During the 2004 Presidential campaign, you may recall that protesters were often surrounded by Bush supporters and drowned out by chants of "Four More Years." Yesterday at the inauguration, protesters were drowned out by chants of "USA, USA."

I could launch into the striking similarity between Bush supporters and fans of the WWF's Hacksaw Jim Duggan (who was a "good guy," but never a real intellectual...). Duggan's fans used to chant USA at every opportunity, somewhat confusingly, since his opponents were often from the same country.

We have officially reached a point where the president's supporters regard themselves as patriots, defenders of the faith, guardians of liberty, et cetera. This has, of course, been implied for years. It's just getting worse. Dissent and you are labeled anti-American.

I get so angry, but I feel like I am just saying the same things over and over with very little effect. People tend to fall into three categories when I make these types of statements. They either nod and agree and we step into a dialogue in which we basically just parrot the other person. Preaching to the choir.
Some people will argue, but not for long. Usually they pick one issue and repeat themselves endlessly in slightly different ways, and do not really listen to any opposing views. They may shut up for a few seconds, but only to think of a different way to say the same thing...
And other people will quietly back away because they don't know what the hell is going on.

I find this situation slightly analogous to one of many instances where my father offered some "words of wisdom." Sometimes what he says doesn't make a lot of sense at first, but often if you give it some thought, it turns out to be pretty accurate. I've grown to respect my dad a lot more over the years for his experience and his worldview. Anyway - he told me once that there were three kinds of people in the world:
There are the people who make things happen, people who watch what happens, and other people who have no idea what the fuck just happened.
I know - it's a slight variation of lead, follow, or get out of the way. But I like it.

Alright. I'm tired and I have three classes today. So I'm going to get some sleep. Maybe I'll get a little more ambitious and say something meaningful sometime. Maybe. Goodnight, folks.

No comments: