Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ego-Stroking - Leading Me To Public Humiliation

I was asked this evening by a girl who has been in a few of my history and poli sci classes if I would be interested in taking part in a debate early next month. The debate would feature members of the various political groups at Fredonia (Dems, Republicans, Greens, and Libertarians) and be moderated by the Amnesty International group. The subject would be American foreign policy. I went to quite a few of the College Democrats meetings last semester before the election and volunteered for one of the local candidates. However, I found the meetings often conflicted with my schedule. When I did go, I was somewhat unimpressed by how much was actually accomplished. This is no one's fault in particular. This is a small school and I think political apathy on this campus is probably competitive with the worst levels nation-wide. I also find myself consistently to the left of most mainstream Democratic positions, and Kerry's defeat only pushed me further in that direction.
Anyway, this girl - I'll call her Stephanie because that's her name - said that I should really consider being part of the debate because she claimed that I was a "good speaker." I laughed and quickly pointed out that most good speakers do not find that their face becomes as red as mine does when I talk to/in front of people I don't know, just as it was turning progressively more red as I was talking to her. It should also be noted that when I talk in class, there is rarely any serious opposition from anyone who knows what they're talking about, which would presumably not be the case at such a debate. There is another danger as well, which is that my sources may not be as diverse as they should be and I would simply be echoing Noam Chomsky if the subject turned to international terrorism, for instance.
Another problem would be the question of representation. Am I just supposed to communicate the Democratic position? Would I be locked into stating the Democratic view on everything and having to argue for something I did not quite believe? And if not, then even the Green Party may find themselves outflanked to the left by many of the things I would have to say, which might be confusing to everyone.

One of the many reasons I will likely never be a politician - besides the fact that I do not have the money, status, oratory skills, or looks to make it - is my unwillingness to compromise on most issues. My strong stances on many aspects of domestic and foreign policy do not invite any types of bargaining that provide the grease for the political wheels of our system.

All of this aside, it is likely that I will allow myself to be dragged into this with visions of glorious triumph and the adoration of the masses in my mind - and proceed to make a fool of myself in front of a large group of people. I can't wait.

7 comments:

Wyatt said...

Well, this is what I expected - I mention that I'll be humiliating myself and Brett's response is "When and where?!"

Supposedly it's March 2 at the Williams Center. I have no other details, and I haven't committed to do anything yet. I want to know a few more of the specifics first.

Wendolene said...

Ooh, maybe I'll give myself the day off and come down!

Wyatt said...

The day off from what?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Wendolene said...

The day off from working for this.

Wyatt said...

Ah, I see. Working on your birthday, eh?

Wendolene said...

And Joe's. It's the way things are.

Anonymous said...

wyatt.......you'll never be a politician becuase you aren't indoctrinated enough to follow the ordered line that is necessary in a democracy to fool the seething unruly masses into believing that they are actually taking part in some sort of "election" where it matters what candidate or party they actually vote for instead of reversing the propaganda machine that makes them believe that.....
-matthew