Monday, May 09, 2005

My Day

I had a final in my Cold War class at the lovely time of 8:30am today, which would have been good enough on its own. However, I also had a 1960s paper due at 4pm. I had 2.5 pages typed, and the paper was supposedly a 15-page minimum, although there was no indication of that on the course syllabus. I tried to work on it last night, but I wasn't really getting anything done. I was tired, and laid down on the couch at about 1am, setting the alarm for 3am. Well, the alarm went off and predictably, I wasn't ready to get up. I sat at the computer and got maybe a paragraph written. I reset the alarm for 4am. Then 5:30. Then 5:45. Then I started to give up, but not entirely. I set the alarm for 6:45, then 7:30. I didn't actually get up and shower until 7:45am. I walked into the final exam at 8:28am, walked out of the room at about 9:55, and walked up to the computer lab with the idea that if everyone around me was working, then maybe I would work too. However, I didn't actually begin then. I logged on, set up my papers around me, put the disk in the computer, and then strolled over to Reed Library for a blueberry muffin and a coffee. I ran into my friend Dan Lukasiewicz ("Luka") from both my Medieval and 1960s classes. We walked into the library and talked for a bit while I ate my breakfast and waited for the coffee to cool. Dan intimated that he had no expectation that Dr. Filipink would actually read a word of our papers. He said Filipink was just tossing the papers in a box in his office. Luka had already handed in his paper, being the conscientious student that he apparently is.

Well, I didn't really start working until 11am. Then at 11:40, I went back to the apartment, picked up the Plant album from my mailbox, used the facilities, and came back in a roundabout way after previewing a few tracks. By 12:15, I was back in the computer lab.

Anyway, somehow I churned out 11.5 pages in about 4.5 hours and was printing my hastily-designed lame cover page at about 3:56 and handing the paper to the professor at 3:58pm. It may be crap, or it may be good. Not sure what he'll think of it. In any event, it's done. I have two finals to go - Media/Politics tomorrow and Medieval History on Thursday, and then the Media and Politics paper due on Friday the 13th.

I'm kind of shot at this point from waking up, sleeping, waking up, stressing out, et cetera. However, I'm going to try to make it down to Brett-Dogg's abode to view Plant's performance on Letterman tonight, since I don't actually have cable or any other reception here. Dedication.

No comments: