Monday, October 24, 2005

Is Anybody Out There? (No Pink Floyd Content - Sorry)

The pressure is building on the Bush Administration, but we still have no actual criminal charges to talk about yet. The thing is - I really didn't think we'd see anything like what's happening now until 2009 at the earliest, when Dubya was out of office. I figured everything was sealed tighter than a proverbial drum and that nothing was going to get out.

Sure, we had former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill tell us in January 2004 that Bush & Co. planned to invade Iraq and just waited for the best opportunity.

And yeah, we heard counterrorism chief Richard Clarke essentially reinforce those reports. He told us that within days of September 11th, 2001 Bush wanted him to connect the dots to Iraq when there were no dots there.

But was anyone listening? Sure they were.

No - what I meant to ask was, were any Bush supporters listening?

Oh. No, not really. Of course, Karl Rove dispatched his minions to engage in some character assassination of O'Neill and Clarke, but the charges that both men made couldn't be dismissed. The American public was just assured that these men, who had both worked for the Administration, were making things up to sell their books. I guess they should have purchased and produced infomercial time instead, seeing as how the average Bush voter can't/won't read books.

Alright, I'm sorry. That was a cheap shot, and it might not even be true.

But what I'm trying to say is that I didn't think anything was going to make a dent in this presidency that anyone on the right could see, or would choose to see. Now it looks as though the wheels might be coming loose just a bit. It doesn't mean that they won't slide out of the noose before the blade falls.

Mixed metaphors? Nah.

All I'm saying is that I'm just a bit surprised. Even the press corps seem to be waking up just a bit. Perhaps they smell just enough blood to make them interested in being real reporters again. I don't know - but I like it. I only wish I had more access to The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, since I'm sure they're having the time of their lives on those shows.

Whether all this static will actually have an impact in the 2006 midterm elections is the big, big question. Who will the social conservatives turn to when they realize their morality votes went to morally, ethically, and intellectually bankrupt politicians? Maybe they'll stay home. I guess we'll find out.

No comments: