Thursday, October 13, 2005

Rock Star

I didn't mention the best part of the Weezer concert on Saturday, but I'll do so now. I'm not going to go through and correct the kid's spelling/grammatical errors - you'll get what he's trying to say, I think. Basically, they pulled a guy out of the crowd to play Undone (Sweater Song) with them, and he was great. This is his post to the Weezer board. He sounds just a bit arrogant, but I guess I probably would be too if I pulled off what he did. It was like something out of a movie. First, they said they didn't want someone who could actually play the guitar, but when some girl couldn't even get out of the mess of the crowd, they picked this kid, who had a sign saying "I Can Play Undone." The best part was that he actually could play, and he jammed out with the band. The crowd was going absolutely nuts, living vicariously through this disheveled guy with a Browns cap on. Anyway, I guess you would have had to be there to really see how spontaneous and how cool the whole thing was.

Here's what Joey had to say about it:

10/9/2005 12:11:21 AM - by who burndt my jamb
i was the kid who played with em tonight....so ill break it down for you guys...BREATHS!!!I arrive at the arena around 6 o' clock, and position myself in front, right by where Scott would be standing. I brought with my a sign that said I CAN PLAY UNDONE.

Karl walks by and I give him a high five and show him my sign. He laughs, and asks to take a picture and does. Kaiser Chiefs played, and I REALLY enjoyed them. Then Weezer, sometime during I believe Dont Let Go Scott looked down, and I showed him the sign. He started laughing and screamed to me, during the song, "are you sure?" I was like "YEA!!!", and he smiled and said OK then. So now I am soooo pumped. Show goes, Weezer rocks.

After Rivers plays Island acosutically Pat, Scott, and Brian come back on. Scott says: Well there was this kid with this sign saying he could play Undone, but we dont want it to be to rehersed (haha as if I practiced with them), so Brian is gonna pick someone else (fuckin hate Brian). Scott saw how sad I got, and I think he felt really bad. Brian picked this girl. Luckily for me, she couldnt make it to the front. Not cool for her. So Scott says: Alright, well just have the kid in the Browns hat come up. (I was wearing a Cleveland Browns snow cap). So I just throw myself over the bar! They show me where to go. I walk up and see Scott smiling, he puts his arm around me and says whats your name?I say Joey. He said Joey, are you ready to go man? And I smiled and said hell yea. Then I shoke Brians hand, and said "Alright Joey, lets do it."

They hand me the acoustic, and I realize I have no pick. I turn around and Pats leaning over giving me his pick, smiling. It was like from a movie or something. It starts, and Rivers wasnt on stage yet, so during the begining dialouge, I tried talking into his mic, but it was off. Sad. So then I think to myself. Im not gonna stand here awkwardly, Im gonna rock out with them. So I turn around and me Pat are smiling, and rocking. Scott walks over and were having a good time.

He sees me lipping the words, and nods at me as if to go ahead and sing with Rivers. I do. Shockingly, I can also sing. (www.myspace.com/joeycatullo) to hear me do so. I started doing a harmony with Rivers and he looks over like holy shit! I didnt see this coming. He smiles and says OK were gonna break it down with Joey. So everyone stopped playing but me, and Rivers and I were doing the chorus together.

They came back in after like 20 seconds. According to my friend Pat and Scott were looking at each other like "who is this kid?" which was soo awesome. Then comes the solo and Rivers walks over to me, and were doing the stance were our guitar necks are next to each others. He was smiling and laughing. I couldnt believe it. Me and Rivers rocking out. Then comes the Chorus and we sing again. And Rivers walks away from his mic at the end during the solo/"doo doo" part. So I walk up to Rivers mic and start doing them.

Hes cracking up. And I decided fuck it...Im rocking with Rivers, not singing. I got on my knees and knelt back as we were rocking (pat style kinda), and Rivers walks over and rocking over me, and then Scott on Rivers backs. Easily the coolest moment ever. Song ends Rivers hugs me and says thanks Joey. I said thanks Rivers.Shake everyones hands. Walk off stage. The guitar tech says, "AWESOME JOB MAN!" and I was like thanks!!Hand him the guitar. He says: No keep it. Im like, am gonna play again!?!?! And hes like no, the guitars yours. Good job man. This is the same guitar Bob, (extra guitarist for them uses) for like Peace, and my friends said Rivers used it for Island. So pretty much they handed me a thousand bock (at least) guitar.

I didnt know what to say. So I asked for the setlist, and got it. They Said I couldnt hang around to long, I waople were talking to me after, callin me by name, which was weird, cuz the band said it. And my Browns hat is agive away. Theres probably more, but I cant think of it. This girl next to me took pics of me singing with Rivers. Shes gonna email. My cameras at school. So Weds, Ill take a pic of the guitar and setlist. And put up the pics of me playing. Maybe Karl got some pics. Rock......
________________________

2 comments:

Wendolene said...

That does sound pretty awesome. I definitely would have been at the concert except Joe's stupid sister had to get stupid married that day.

Wyatt said...

That's stupid.