Sunday, December 18, 2005

Semester's End

I had my last two finals on Thursday. Wednesday night, I stayed up writing my PoliSci paper until quite late. The final for Filipink's American Century class was a lovely little nightmare. Thirty-nine questions over roughly fifteen pages. All short-answer, fill-in-the-blank, minor essays, et cetera. 150 points. Of the two hours allotted, I was there for one hour and fifty-five minutes. Loved it.

The room was packed. I started wondering if maybe there was another section of the same class, but I'm pretty sure there isn't. I don't know what these people were hoping for, since they were never in class and there's no way that they're about to pass that final. One idiot came in about ten minutes late, dressed like he left his guns in his car after his drive back from Columbine. I had never seen him in class before. He proceeded to sniffle very loudly at slightly irregular intervals, snorting the snot back up into his nostrils and annoying the hell out of everyone there.

Or at least me. I was pretty ticked.

Someone must have finally handed him a tissue or maybe he just started to let his nose drip down onto the paper. I don't know, but his snorting subsided after about twenty minutes.

SO...I got out of there around 3:30 and had to be to the Critical Thinking final by 4pm. I called Jessica and discovered that she was on campus already. I trekked over to Fenton Hall - slowly, since everything was iced over pretty well, and of course I was trying to "carry myself well," but it was difficult to do so with the sidewalks in that condition.

Anyway, when I got over there, I knew I wasn't going to get much studying done sitting next to her. We talked a bit. She described her mood as "antsy" because she was all packed up and ready to leave and just wanted to get out of Fredonia. She was waiting around all day for someone from the gas company and they had never shown up. I got about ten minutes of studying done. I tried to get her to stick around that night because the weather was so bad, but she apparently really wanted to get home. I suppose that's further evidence that she's not as interested as I am.

I was in and out of the test within thirty minutes. It was kind of like Dr. Tuggy said it was going to be - a "glorified quiz." That doesn't mean I did well on it. I didn't do the homework for that unit and I hadn't studied that much. I had an A in the class, so I just hope I didn't screw it up. The debate evaluation was completed finally, and he had amended it to a 98. Some comments:

"You spoke with power and precision"

-I'm not sure I've spoken with power or precision at any point in my life.

"Good use of sarcasm - it was pretty dry, though - I think some of the audience thought you were actually advocating genetic engineering."

-I found this hilarious. My sarcasm too dry? People didn't get it? Huh. That never happens. The comment referenced something I had said toward the beginning of the debate (on whether or not there should be one world government) about how it would be a wonderful idea - just as soon as we fundamentally alter human nature. I said that maybe we could just start genetically engineering people and suggested that we use a nice book by Aldous Huxley called Brave New World as a blueprint. This was delivered in a somewhat characteristically deadpan way and apparently flew directly over some heads.

"I didn't get the car joke - sorry [smiley face]"

-The other side had said something about most people being fairly educated and rational. I countered by saying that in the United States, supposedly one of the most educated nations in the world, one of our most popular activites is to watch people get in their cars, go fast, and turn left all day. This was also delivered - purposely - with a straight face, and no one got that it was a jab at NASCAR. Oh well.

Those were the most interesting things on the evaluation. I lost it in the snow later on. I lost it in the snow because after the test, I waited for Jess to come out and we walked to her car. I tried to put my books on her car, but they started to slip, so I (I think fairly dramatically...) threw them into the snow, turned around with my arms out, embraced her, and kissed her. I said that I wished that we had more time together, she agreed, and I told her to drive carefully. That was about it.

I'll write more, but I'm at Brett's and he needs to sleep, so I'm going to leave.

No comments: