Thursday, December 01, 2005

Smooth - Extra Smooth

Well, despite my lack of "game" and continued self-deprecation in conversation, I managed to land a phone number from a girl today.

Stifle your shocked outbursts, please.

Yes, I've been informed that phone numbers are given and received every day and that this is not sufficient cause for celebration for most normal males, but it hardly ever happens to me, so I'm pretty happy.

I have wonderful timing, of course. I'll be leaving in a matter of weeks.

She said, "it sucks you won't be around here next semester."

Yeah. I'll be back, of course. Not until late April though.

I kind of got the impression that she was with a guy she sat next to in class, although I don't know how I developed that. If I had taken Matt's advice, I would never have let that stop me.

I talked to her for a while yesterday and fumbled miserably through most of the exchange. I don't think it was helped by the fact that I had an audience who also seemed to be competing for her attention.

Today, I talked to her individually, quit trying to act like I knew what I was doing, and was much more blunt about my intentions. I apologized for my lack of suaveness (suavity...? doesn't look right) from yesterday and told her that I would go back to my computer and leave her alone. She immediately asked, "why?"

Even dense me took that that as a positive sign and went forward. We talked for the better part of an hour and may make plans for tomorrow or perhaps Saturday. Too bad I'm very close to being completely broke.

Later on, I was watching Seinfeld and saw the one where George meets the Asian lawyer in the coffee shop, is initially very excited because she thought he was extremely funny. He soon realized that after such a sterling beginning, there is nowhere to go but down, and within two minutes has descended from euphoria to the depths of despair, talking himself out of any hope of success. He insists that Jerry can't keep being so funny in her presence, because it will make him look bad. Of course, then she falls for the dark, brooding, mysterious faux-Jerry.

Even I am not quite that bad, despite all evidence to the contrary. She did laugh at quite a few things that I said. I know this should make me wary, since I'm not very funny, but I'm pretty optimistic in this case. We'll see.

She's a psychology major and English minor, although she claims to like history too. She's applying to grad schools, but isn't clear on what she wants to do. She says that the fact that I'm 24 doesn't frighten her, which is good. She had a birthday recently and is now 21.

That's all for now. Wish me luck. I'm sure I'll need it.

No comments: