Tuesday, December 21, 2004

"Don't give me that bullshit blackmail, Leah!"

That's among the things I had the pleasure of hearing in my apartment from the guy next door. He was yelling at one of his daughters. It's not like I live in a trashy place, either. This guy's a teacher at Dunkirk and his daughters are supposedly in college.
From what I could gather (and it wasn't difficult, because the latter portion of the argument was conducted in the hallway outside my door), the daughter didn't do something that her father felt that she should have done and she decided to go to her mom's place. When she said she was going there, it prompted the comment that serves as the title for this post. She was also taking her laptop, and her dad said something like, "see how you do without a high speed internet connection" and she responded with, "well, sometimes you have to give things up."

Wow - and I thought I was getting away from domestic disputes when I moved out of my parents' house. Ha!

I shouldn't be too hard on ol' Dennis though. He's a good neighbor for the most part. He's never complained about noise (although we're really never noisy anyway). And he doesn't yell at his kids too often. I know, because I'd be able to hear it every time.

So I know Kevin's neighbor is Sam Elliott. Does anyone else have any good neighbor stories they'd like to share?

4 comments:

Wendolene said...

Wait, I have to swallow my vomit.

Okay.
Our upstairs neighbor is a really nice woman who lives alone and she is the coolest neighbor I've had except she made us soup, twice, and I was too scared to eat it because, come on, homemade soup? Nice, but weird.

My neighbor in ghetto-Rochester was a black woman who thought I was trying to get her evicted so one night she left the apartment and left her stereo on repeat, really loud, so it just played some punkish song over and over. And over. For two and a half hours. I called the cops.

Tegbir Singh said...

About two months ago my father, brother AJ, neighbor Tony and I tipped beers to salute each other as neighbors that mind their own damn business.

Wyatt said...

I do indeed know ol' Tim Butzer. He was one of the joys of my single experience 'playing' organized football...9th grade for the Falconer JV team. I say 'playing' because I was in for a total of roughly eight minutes during our whole eight-game season. I'm sure I was a vital part of our 8-0 record though...as starting water-boy, it was my job to hydrate the players. It was, as KP will most assuredly tell you, before the days of Captain Aquafina. Classic Butzer football quote? "Where the hell were you guys on that play?! You coulda driven a truck through that hole!!"

And Timmy was also my Government teacher in 11th grade. I used to fall asleep everyday, despite the fact that I sat in the second row and was essentially right in front of him. It was a couple periods after lunch and I could never keep my eyes open, even though he was spouting vociferously about mental midgets and the like. But the amazing thing was that he never said anything to me about it, though I'm sure he must have noticed. He caught someone else sleeping once and embarrassed the person. I always got great grades in that class though - I was one of the only people up on current events. Maybe that's why he left me alone.

So Cammie, you weren't tempted by all that machismo oozing out of his 5'7" frame? What a catch he would have been.

Ben VanEvery said...

I believe that when m butzer taught us about the nacirema tribe, I truly began to understand the world around me -- it certainly wasn't when m pohlig had a caniption about her apple.