Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Lullaby

I can't really think of a Zep album that's mellow enough to fall asleep to. There are good acoustic songs on just about every album (except Presence, which is a somewhat more dirty and harsh album in many respects), but most of them rock a little too hard to make you want to lie down and slip away into your subconscious. I guess 1979's In Through the Out Door would probably be the best one.

It should be noted that even The Division Bell is not devoid of songs that have a little bounce to them. When I say that an album is good to put on when you want to fall asleep, I don't mean that in a negative sense. Even when you talk about a particular person you would like to fall asleep listening to, that shouldn't mean it's a negative thing about them. Think about bedtime stories read to you when you were a child. It just refers to the overall soothing quality. I think many Pink Floyd albums are generally good for this purpose for some reason. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and even Animals, though Animals has a little bit of the same anger behind it as Zeppelin's Presence does, although for different reasons. I wouldn't want to try to fall asleep to The Wall though - I think I'd have nightmares.

Okay...so how about that take-home test.....................................?

2 comments:

Wyatt said...

Well, I guess that's why I was talking about albums to fall asleep to, and not albums by which to have better sex.

I suppose that could be a topic for another post, and I'm sure Cammie can offer many more examples than I can, although I'm sure our choices would not necessarily match.

Of course, Zeppelin might not be the best music to listen to when falling asleep, but it's perfect for "makin' it." I mean, "Whole Lotta Love"!? Can't get any better than that. And In Through the Out Door, despite what I had said in the post, was used to great effect on one specific occasion that left me very satiated, and it wasn't even put on by me, which made it even better.

"Your Mother Wouldn't Like It," an aptly titled bootleg of Zeppelin's May 24, 1975 performance at Earls Court, provided a great soundtrack very early in the relationship with the same girl, but that wasn't sex, just a long make-out session. Gotta love Tangerine and the 25-minute No Quarter.

Ah, memories. It's all I've got anymore.

Wyatt said...

Quite right about the "good music for good sex leading to exhaustion" and invalidating the need for a lullaby. That's an excellent point.